3100 Wellington Pl
Janesville, WI 53546
YWCA Rock County’s 5th Annual Racial Justice Conference:
Building Bridges to Eliminate Racism
2019 Theme: Courage, Communication & Commitment
This day long conference focuses on racial justice and equality, featuring speakers and breakout sessions.
Early Bird Registration is $85; After Sept. 1 registration is $100; After October 18 registration is $110
Presenters will help attendees learn to foster diversity, inclusion and growth in workplaces, schools and communities. By obtaining tips and resources, attendees will be able to help support diverse populations in their communities.
2019 Speakers and Topics:
- Jacqueline Battalora, Ph.D. and Professor of Sociology at Saint Xavier University, Chicago
- Going Back to Go Forward
- How U.S. Law and Policy Divides Us
- Huda Essa, founder of Culture Links LLC, author and speaker from Dearborn, Michigan
- From Me to We: Utilizing Critical Consciousness to Build a Successful commUNITY
- Dispelling Myths and Maximizing the Potential of Various Language Identities
- Sagashus T. Levingston, Ph.D. and English Professor at UW Madison. Founder of Infamous Mothers
- Discussing Racial Anxieties
- Reggie Jackson, author and consultant with Nurturing Diversity Partners in Milwaukee
- Unconscious Bias: Can We See Our Own Blind Spots?
- From Good Will to Good Work: How People of Conscience Can Create a Just Society
Dorothy Height Award Presentation
Named for a civil and women’s rights activist, this award is given to a Rock County business that shows leadership and commitment to racial justice in the workplace. The award is presented during the annual Racial Justice Conference.
Past recipients include:
2015: Community Action, Inc.
2016: Beloit School District
2017: Blackhawk Bank
2018: Agrace Center for Hospice & Palliative Care
Anyone can nominate a business they believe meets this criteria. The nomination form can be found by clicking here.