51 S Main St
In celebration of Stand Against Racism, a signature campaign of the YWCA Rock County to build community among those who work for racial justice and to raise awareness about the negative impact of institutional racism in our communities, the Rock County Board of Supervisors has declared April 28 – May 1, 2022 Stand Against Racism days in the County of Rock and encourages residents, local businesses educators, and community and faith-based organizations to celebrate and advocate for the elimination of racism.
YWCA Rock County will host an in-person Stand Against Racism event on Thursday, April 21, 2022. This event will be held at the Lower Courthouse Park Amphitheater (51 South Main Street) in Janesville, Wisconsin at noon. The 2022 theme for the YWCA USA sanctioned event is We Can’t Wait: Equity and Justice Now! Dr. Atiera Coleman, Rock County Equity Manager will serve as the keynote speaker. The event will highlight student speakers from the Fresh Start program at Community Action, Inc. in Beloit.
The City of Beloit is scheduled to recognize Thursday, April 21, 2022 as Stand Against Racism Day in the city of Beloit. For more information, please contact Amiee Leavy, Racial Justice Director at email@example.com.
|We are excitedly preparing for this year’s Stand Against Racism event on April 21st. Take a picture of yourself holding the 2022 Stand Against Racism sign (pictured above) and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org so that we can share your support on our Social Media pages. Please share this opportunity with your friends, family and co-workers.|
STAND AGAINST RACISM PLEDGE
Mindful of the continuing affliction of institutional and structural racism as well as the daily realities of all forms of bias, prejudice and bigotry in my own life, my family, my circle of friends, my co-workers and the society in which I live, with conviction and hope:
I take this pledge, fully aware that the struggle to eliminate racism will not end with a mere pledge but calls for an ongoing transformation within myself and the institutions and structures of our society.
I pledge to look deeply and continuously in my heart and in my mind to identify all signs and vestiges of racism; to rebuke the use of racist language and behavior towards others; to root out such racism in my daily life and in my encounters with persons I know and with strangers I do not know; and to expand my consciousness to be more aware and sensitive to my use of overt and subtle expressions of racism and racial stereotypes;
I pledge to educate myself on racial justice issues and share what I learn in my own communities even if it means challenging my family, my partner, my children, my friends, my co-workers and those I encounter on a daily basis
I pledge, within my means, to actively work to support public policy solutions that prominently, openly and enthusiastically promote racial equity in all aspects of human affairs; and to actively support and devote my time to YWCA, as well as other organizations working to eradicate racism from our society.
YWCA Rock County is on a mission to eliminate racism and empower women. I join YWCA in taking a stand against racism today and every day.
Courageous Conversations: Held on the fourth Monday of each month at 5:30 p.m. via Zoom.
- Contact Email: email@example.com
Concerned Black Citizens of Beloit, Inc.
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Diversity Action Team: Monthly Events (September – May)
- The Diversity Action Team of Rock County holds monthly educational events on the third Thursday of the month (September – May) at 6:00 p.m. Virtual events are hosted via Zoom. In-person events are held at the Hedberg Public Library.
- Website: https://www.datrockco.org
- Contact Email: email@example.com
Health Equity Alliance of Rock County (HEAR): Meets on the second Wednesday of the month at 11:00 a.m.
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Justice Overcoming Borders: Meets on the first Thursday of the month at 4:45 p.m. using a hybrid model via Zoom and meeting in-person at the Beloit Public Library.
- Contact Email: email@example.com
NAACP – Beloit Branch: Meets on the first Thursday of the month at 6:30 p.m. Please check the Facebook page for additional information.
- Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/Beloit-NAACP-103038308505940
Wisconsin Poor People’s Campaign
Diversity Action Team April Event (Download Flyer HERE)
Thursday, April 21, 2022
6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Topic: Housing Assistance Through COVID Relief – Looking at Rock County Communities’ Use of Federal Funds for Affordable Housing & Housing Service
- Zoom Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUsf-qqqDIoGNyfIaCzQy7xBssedgWqV3tB
Courageous Conversations April Event (Download the Flyer HERE)
Monday, April 25, 2022
5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- Topic: Disappearing Women: How Treaties and Laws Leave Us Vulnerable
- Zoom Registration Link:https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUofuChpzkqGddgLZ0b4HcibkiEa_wDXQFy
YWCA Rock County Spring Lunch and Learn
Thursday, April 28, 2022
12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Topic: Race to Equity – Rock County Report (Health)
- Zoom Registration Link:https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZUrcOipqTkoH91RyjWMbYP761IV5Ng32Nzk
Diversity Action Team May Event
Thursday, May 19, 2022
6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
- Topic: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in Rock County
- Zoom Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcqfu6gqjkrGdxPBrvi6hLnfdUPKHzJegC_
YWCA Rock County Summer Lunch and Learn
Thursday, July 28, 2022
12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Topic: Race to Equity – Rock County Report (Deep End Systems)
- Zoom Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZAldemsrT8pH9cNIZSnXicMU9rKarKqvlX7
YWCA Rock County Fall Lunch and Learn
Thursday, October 27, 2022
12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Topic: Race to Equity – Rock County Report (Well Being)
- Zoom Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZcvceqrrDoqH9wOxLmxIYeRkBZ6Px1B2lwl
YWCA Rock County 8th Annual Racial Justice Conference
Thursday, November 10, 2022
8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Virtual Platform: Whova
Book and Report Recommendations
- Race to Equity – Rock County: Addressing Disparities to Build a Foundation for Racial Equity
- The 1619 Project, Created by Nikole Hannah-Jones
- The Sum of Us: What Racism Cost Everyone and How We Can Prosper Together by Heather McGhee
- The Half Has Never Been Told: Slavery and the Making of American Capitalism by Edward E. Baptist
- Me and White Supremacy: Combat Racism, Change the World and Become a Good Ancestor by Layla F. Saad
- Pushout: The Criminalization of Black Girls in Schools by Monique W. Morris
- Into American by Trymaine Lee: Into America is a podcast about being Black in America. These stories explore what it means to speak truth to power and hold this country to its promises. The stories are told by people who have the most at stake.
- Code Switch by NPR: Code Switch is a fearless conversation about race. Hosted by journalist of color, this podcast tackles the subject of race with empathy and humor. Code Switch explores how race affects every part of society – from politics to pop culture to history, food and everything in between.
- Latino USA by Futuro Media and PRX: Latino USA offers insight in to the lived experiences of Latino communities and is a window on the current and merging cultural, political and social ideas impacting Latinos and the nation.
- All My Relations by Matika Wilbur, Desi Small-Rodriguez & Adrienne Keene: All My Relations explores relationships— relationships to land, to creatural relatives, and to one another. Each episode invites guests to delve into a different topic facing Native American peoples today.